I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Thu Aug 4 19:33:56 UTC 2005

Sir Daz wrote:

> what makes using the gui a more potential way to stuff up anyway?

Hi,

it takes more effort to type rm -rf / home/myname/*
(please don't do that just to find out what it does - it will delete all
files on your machine as root)
the space does happen at times to people

to do this with a point and click system highlight / and hit the delete key

That's one way its easier with gui.

Rule one of system administration is to use the least privilege to do a
job. You should not need root to do most tasks.
If something breaks on a GNU/Linux box, then there is the possibility
that the user that is using that something has their account
compromised. If that user is root then the whole box is available to the
bad code, be that local or remote.
This is part of the why the GNU/Linux model is different to some other
things when it comes to malware being spread around.
There are others.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley