I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Thu Aug 4 19:19:31 UTC 2005

Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
Lots of stuff snipped

>Yay for you. Not having a root password isn't some sort of policy from
>on high, it's just a default. The users who do 'have enough smarts to
>not go screwing stuff up' can reasonably be expected to have enough
>smarts to set the root password if that's what they want.
>
>Ewan

I concur with Ewan.

Just now I had a call with a friend of mine, we have over 20 years of
Unix/Linux between us. If you like that could be restated as we both
have in excess of 10 years since we both had our first box to admin.

In the commercial world it is normal that root is not used just sudo. Why?
Because sudo can be set to log every command (this is default behaviour)
and /var/log/auto.log* is great proof of this.

Where would this help?
What command did you last run before you borked the system is answered
in that file.

Add people to /etc/sudoers or don't
Add them for the shutdown command
Add them for access to some restricted device
Yippee it works :)

So I say this, live and let live, and what you do in the privacy of your
own install is your own business, however kindly keep your hands off my
sudo :)

Regards,

Paul O'Malley