about installing packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 4 18:57:21 UTC 2005

Scott Sweeny wrote:

> On 8/4/05, Frank Hale <frankhale1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > That has bugged me when using synaptic too.  I would like to know what
>> > repo each package comes from...
>>
>> Ditto on that! I've added my share of repos in addition to the ones
>> that are their by default and it'd be nice to see a field that lists
>> what repo the packages are in.
>
> In the properties window (or pane) under the "versions" tab Synaptic
> will list the different versions available with the repository in
> parentheses.  It doesn't distinguish universe, multiverse, etc but it
> will tell you hoary, hoary-security, backports, etc.

I suspect I've picked up a package or two from Debian by mistake, so what I
need is to be able to select all of the 600 or so packages that were
installed from Debian/testing.  Checking the properties of every single
package is a bit exhausting :-)

I'm sure this could actually be done fairly easily with a script, but I'm at
a complete loss to figure out how synaptic knows as much as it does - much
of this information doesn't seem to be available from the dpkg or aptitude
command lines.
--
derek