about installing packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 4 18:52:55 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

> On do, 2005-08-04 at 12:57 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> _What_ is the default configuration?  There's no clear reason why some
>> packages show an ubuntu icon and others don't.  There's no obvious
>> documentation to suggest even what that icon means.
>
> All officially supported packages (everything in main) get an Ubuntu
> icon.

So how does synaptic know it's officially supported (just because it's in
"main" [and surely "restricted"]?) and what icon to show (hard-coded?).

As I pointed out, though, packages with both a Debian and a Ubuntu candidate
for the same version (even though my pinning _should_ - and will if I use
aptitude - prevent any of the Debian packages except "tomcat*" being
"candidates") get no icon.  Seems like a bug...
--
derek