Overriding Video BIOS

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 08:49:26 UTC 2005

I'm not sure if I should be posting this to this mail
list or possibly X's.

I'll try here first ;)

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300, ATI Mobility Radeon and
have installed Hoary 5.04. For this machine, the video
BIOS is set at 14440x900 and I'd like better (1600x
type stuff)

I've tried all the obvious but after looking at the
log file, I saw the bit about reading the Video BIOS.
This led me to belive I can't actually change the
resolution.

So, does anyone know if I can override the video BIOS
in X's configuration? The Video BIOS is not writeable.

As an aside, can anyone tell me why the resolution is
set at 1440x900 with such a big 17" monitor? I've
never had any problems with resolution on previous
older machines that have had smaller monitors and
worse specs.

I haven't had a real chance to play with this Distro
but just the fact it installed on this machine was
great. I tried FC4 first and although it installed, I
had problems with vertically split screen when
changing  resolution. Could be a chain of events here
;)

CIA

-Anthony