Realvideo won't start - most of the time

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu Aug 4 05:00:05 UTC 2005

Thanks to all who helped with the issue of the 6.30am cron job.. have
modified /etc/crontab to be 3.30am and in about half an hour I shall
hopefully see nothing happen :-)

Second issue I have, which I have to say is bemusing me a little, is the
fact that "realplay" won't run a lot of the time (it runs sometimes, but
I am not sure why)...

I think something is stopping it from starting up... if you type
"realplay" it just hangs and nothing happens... web pages with embedded
Realvideo just hang too and have to be killed...  I'm thinking in my
mind maybe it's waiting for access to something (perhaps to do with the
sound?) but can see no real pattern. Just that when you boot up it
doesn't work and at some stage when the PC has been on a few days it
starts working...

How can I find out what's going on? Is there any way I can diagnose
what's happening?

Any help much appreciated...

Sean