I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Wed Aug 3 18:10:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Frank Hale wrote:
> > Shouldn't the installer be
> > tweaked to *make* you enter some type of initial password for root?
> NO!  The whole point is to _not_ have a root password. I just don't
> understand why this is such a difficult concept.

This concept is fine for people who've never used Ubuntu/Linux/Unix before.

The concept is fine for people who've been using a *nix a very long time, in
a professional environment and use sudo for everything automatically.

The 'problem' occurs for people who've been exposed to a Unix (other than
MacOSX) for long enough to expect a separate root account, but not long
enough to have come across a modern setup where 'sudo' and
priviledge-minimisation is the default norm.

	-Paul
--
The summer is normal here.  London, GB