Java in ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 3 16:29:06 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

> On wo, 2005-08-03 at 17:37 +0700, Andi Gmail wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Has anyone experience coding java on ubuntu?(I mean step by step from
>> installation) couse there is less information about that when I
>> googling.
>
> There are 5 steps:
> * Download the .bin installer from java.sun.com (note: not the .rpm.bin)
> * Enable the multiverse repository (wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositories)
> * Install fakeroot and java-package (sudo aptitude install
>   java-package fakeroot)
> * Create a .deb file (fakeroot make-jpkg the_jdk_filename.bin)
> * Install the .deb file: sudo spkg -i sun*.deb

Easier... add blackdown to your sources (I'm using
ftp://ftp.tux.org/java/debian/).  afaict (and I've been using it sincy I
first installed warty), it works fine without causing any problems.

You _might_ be able to get by with kaffe, but it doesn't work for one
application I _have_ to have, so it's moot.
--
derek