After reading the support threads I am baffled

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 3 16:19:32 UTC 2005

James wrote:

> Does it not occur to anyone at UBUNTU that no root user causes us to not
> be able to get into a logged in prompt where we can type sudo -s?
> I cannot find anywhere, one shred of why this has not been addressed.  I
> tried the sudo -s from a live boot after installing it, and of course
> that did not work because it is in a different session that I made my
> changes.  Does anyone have a reasonable answer why this Linux for the
> people is harder than any other to get into?

I _think_ I know what you're saying.  If you're booting to single user mode
- init level 1 - just hit the enter key when it asks for a password.  I had
heard that ubuntu had changed the prompt - but it still asks for a password
in breezy.

Still, that's not the right way to go, because now anybody can boot your
system and go to root - so you need a password protected boot loader to
prevent it.
--
derek