java 1.5 AMD64 / fakeroot woes

Daniel Allen dada.da at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:21:02 UTC 2005

On 7/29/05, hod139 <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> From your first post, as you stated, the problem seems to be with the
> fakeroot library.  What fakeroot did you install?  You stated that you
> tried a couple Debian fakeroots, but did you try the official ubuntu
> fakeroot?

Yup; the standard ubuntu hoary fakeroot:

# apt-cache show fakeroot
Package: fakeroot
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 284
Maintainer: Clint Adams <schizo at debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.2.2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
Filename: pool/main/f/fakeroot/fakeroot_1.2.2_amd64.deb
[...]

I also downloaded source for the latest debian fakeroot (1.4.2) and
compiled that, which installed into /usr/local/lib/;

I ran:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/ fakeroot make-jpkg <etc>

...and got the same "cannot open shared object file" error.

> Also, is there a reason you don't want the sun-j2re1.5 (or
> sun-j2sdk1.5) package available in the repository I posted earlier?  Or
> is this just a personal mission to get fakeroot to work?

At this point, it's mostly stubbornness ;)  As well as wanting to
understand how to do things the proper way.

The bug, if there is a bug, obviously doesn't affect all situations,
possibly only amd64, which I need to support more of at work these
days, and it's in my best interests to have things working as well as
they do on x86s architectures.  If fakeroot has problems, that could
be more annoying down the road.

As is, I'll probably end up using the source you suggested, barring
further good suggestions for tracking this further...

Thanks,

-Daniel