Suggestions for centralized application server?

jeff at smithicus.com jeff at smithicus.com
Wed Aug 3 15:55:03 UTC 2005

I am a recent convert to Ubuntu. I'm running a network of 8 legacy systems
(mostly PII-based) for my family. I chose Ubuntu, with the XFCE4 wm for its ease
of use, speed and completeness of available packages. (Way to go Ubuntu Team!)

I'd like to find an easy way to manage an install image across all the
workstations. I've contemplated installing to a single application server and
then mounting the /usr directory via NFS on all the workstations, but since many
apps will have fingers in other directory trees (like /etc) this would be an
incomplete solution at best.

Any suggestions?
--
Jeff Smith