choosing mencoder????

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Wed Aug 3 14:15:35 UTC 2005

mustafa wrote:
> i use ubuntu 5.04
> i am a new user to xvid and encoding in general as well.
> i installed mencoder from apt-get.
> there were a few option among the mencoders.
>
> mencoder-586 - MPlayer's Movie Encoder
> mencoder-custom - MPlayer's Movie Encoder
> mencoder-k6 - MPlayer's Movie Encoder
> mencoder-k7 - transitional dummy package which can be safely removed
>
> i chose mencoder-k6 because the description says its for
> amd athlons.
> but i have a sempron.

I believe athlons and semprons are K-7, not K-6:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_microprocessors

> should i install some other version or install mencoder-custom
> because it says it for your computer.
>
> i really need a performance boost because a have arounf 80 GB
> worth of file to be encoded.

You may get some performance boost using an mencoder optimized for
your processor, but I think the best way to get a speed boost will be
to upgrade your system to the fastest processor you can afford.

But this job is going to take some time anyway.  I use two differnt
systems for video transcoding, an Athlon 2600 and a G5 1.8 GHz.  I
guess converting 80 GB of video would take around 80-160 hours on
either of these systems.

Regards,
Larry