I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Frank Hale frankhale1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:07:31 UTC 2005

> there is absolutely, no information on what the root defaul password is.

This tripped me up and had me confused for a while when helping a
friend install Ubuntu. I would have bet my life on the fact that you
couldn't possibly install Linux without at some point entering in a
password for root. In all my years of using Red Hat, SuSE, Slackware,
Crux... I've never seen an installation that did not have you put a
password in for the root user during installation. I would have of
course died from that bet but that is beside the point... =)

Turns out that you have to give root a password after installation by
using sudo. Now how many new users have not put a root password on
their box? I bet the number is quite large. Shouldn't the installer be
tweaked to *make* you enter some type of initial password for root?