Ubuntu and Software Freedom Day

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at canonical.com
Wed Aug 3 12:54:52 UTC 2005

Hello LoCo Teams and other Ubuntu fans,

September 10th is international Software Freedom Day [1], which is a
global celebration of free and open source software (FOSS). Ubuntu
already plays a central role in the event in that the official CD
distributed by teams around the world (TheOpenCD v3) contains a Live CD
based on Hoary [2]. Canonical has sponsored the SFD server and
production of the CDs. Various Ubuntu team members are also directly
involved in the event. Mako and I are on the governing board of SFD and
Jeff is involved in organising Australian teams.

Community support is vital in developing a superb OS (testing,
documentation, MOTUs, etc.), but development is only half the job. To
encourage people to use free OSes such as Ubuntu and its derivatives, we
must also engage in promotion. In theory it should be an easy sell: we
have a great system that we are giving away for free! However, the
marketing resources spent on promoting proprietary systems are vast and
will only increase with the pre-hype around Vista.

We have the opportunity of using a distributed marketing model though,
and directly engaging people. I'm sure all of you are already spreading
the word amongst friends, but it is also possible to reach larger groups
of local people through organised events. SFD is a nice opportunity for
LoCo teams to join with other FOSS advocates and create some real
momentum on a specific day. It is conceived of as a broad initiative of
free and open source software advocates, reaching across distributions,
projects, operating systems and continents! We have teams registered in
places like Nepal, Burundi, Peru and Bangladesh, in addition to the more
traditionally high tech regions of Europe and North America.

Many teams already have plans well under way, so if there is one in your
area, you might want to hook up with them to see how you can help. If
not, you can easily start a team in your area any time. Check the SFD
forum and wiki for existing teams [3]. We've had over 200 team
registrations so far and we are sure that at least 100 of these will
stage outreach events on the day. I'm sure many of you will have ordered
and received official Ubuntu CDs already. If you still have some left on
Sept. 10th you might want to meet up with a local team and hand them
out  :)

- Henrik

[1] http://softwarefreedomday.org/
[2]