Wireless laptop configuration problem

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Wed Aug 3 12:31:04 UTC 2005

hi david,

i doubt that William's problem has something to with the routing table.
as his ifconfig output shows...

> wjc at trotter:~$ ifconfig
> ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:5B:C4:0B:C6
>           inet6 addr: fe80::209:5bff:fec4:bc6/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:493 errors:25041 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:25041
>           TX packets:595 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
>           RX bytes:81801 (79.8 KiB)  TX bytes:212868 (207.8 KiB)
>           Interrupt:9 Memory:c8ae0000-c8af0000

...he receives and transmittes packages on the interface (RX and TX).
however, most packages (rather frames) received have errors... (that
might very well be due to them being encrypted..)

Similarly, the dhclient output says, that packages are sent via ath0:

> Listening on LPF/ath0/00:09:5b:c4:0b:c6
> Sending on   LPF/ath0/00:09:5b:c4:0b:c6

Nevertheless, checking the routing table is always a sensibel thing to
do if packets are just "lost"..

David wrote:
<snip>
> Wireless doesn't seem to work unless eth0 is configured and active first.
> I don't know why, but I could reliably reproduce this problem. To fix it,
> I configured both ethernet and wireless to be active, but that results in
> TWO default routes and confuses everything. I couldn't convince the
> control panel to only create one default route.

that sounds rather odd to me.. what happens if you take eth0 down and
then activate your wireless interface? does it not work? hmmm, is your
lo interface up or down when wireless doesn't work? i had some problems
with lo not being brought up during boot when you cancel the network
script.. in this case i doubt that wireless will work properly, hence,
bringing up eth0 (including lo?!) helps..?! could you check that?

chrisotph

--

Christoph Georgi
email.  christoph.georgi at web.de