Java in ubuntu

Steve Torrefranca javacide at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:43:58 UTC 2005

Andi Rustandi wrote:

> I have 10gb of harddisk and 250mb of memory
> is that enough to install java?

depends on what you are trying to do.

if all you need is java sure! 10gb is awfully lot of space for java.
But running IDEs like eclipse/jbuilder/etc is another story - talking
about memory. well eclipse can run in 256 even with a tomcat but it will
be very slow...  err at least java runs twice faster than winduhs.   if
you try developing/running java apps in linux, everything outside it is
just too painfully slow.

sun-j2sdk1.5****.deb = 65.2 mb

--
Steve Ong Torrefranca
http://www.on-tvmall.com.tw

we write at least 3 lines of codes to do meaningful work in java but that does not mean its more complicated and a maintenance nightmare. Ruby on Rails do require lesser code, but judging a language by counting the number of lines is just not right.  What's next - look ma no code no bugs!