Java in ubuntu

Steve Torrefranca javacide at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:31:14 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

>On wo, 2005-08-03 at 17:37 +0700, Andi Gmail wrote:
>

>>Hi all...
>>
>>Has anyone experience coding java on ubuntu?
>>

>There are 5 steps:
>* Download the .bin installer from java.sun.com (note: not the .rpm.bin)
>* Enable the multiverse repository (wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositories)
>* Install fakeroot and java-package (sudo aptitude install
>  java-package fakeroot)
>* Create a .deb file (fakeroot make-jpkg the_jdk_filename.bin)
>* Install the .deb file: sudo spkg -i sun*.deb

or install from backports:
1. add this to sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list):
deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/  hoary-extras restricted

but you can always put everything in case u want more than sun java
deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/  hoary-extras main universe
multiverse restricted

2. do "sudo apt-get update"
3. do "sudo apt-get install sun-j2sdk1.5"
4. you are done!

--
Steve Ong Torrefranca
http://www.on-tvmall.com.tw

we write at least 3 lines of codes to do meaningful work in java but that does not mean its more complicated and a maintenance nightmare. Ruby on Rails do require lesser code, but judging a language by counting the number of lines is just not right.  What's next - look ma no code no bugs!