Wireless laptop configuration problem

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Wed Aug 3 08:36:08 UTC 2005

William Chapman wrote:
<snip>
> I finally figured out how to disable WEP (entered "off") in control
> panel, and after the card activated, the symptoms were the same.

did you turn off wep on the access point, too?

> Observing the router admin http page reveals that he is seeing the
> wireless card, and records the MAC address correctly, but shows
> neither a name, nor an IP address (which he should assign, as he is
> the DHCP and DNS provider).

well, in that case i'd say that it's neither h/w nor the drivers as the
card work. the two devices know of each other, i.e. they're both active
and broadcast, but they can't "communicate" with each other usually due
to different settings...

i recommend to configure the ap as simple as possible, even without dhcp
and without encryption and then to set up ubuntu accordingly.. that
should work then..

<snip>

> Because this notebook had such a fresh installation, I have decided to
> re-install Ubuntu.  It turns out that the original install had some
> "minor problems" that might have impacted the original network
> configuration.  Viz., originally, the wireless card was plugged in
> during the installation, but the wired Ethernet, although available to
> the  system - it being integrated into the laptop, was not, as the
> Ethernet cable was unplugged!  I'm thinking this to be somewhat
> unorthodox, hence my decision to try a fresh install.

hope it all goes well ;)

christoph

--

Christoph Georgi