Installation of packages on ubuntu

Shivakumar GN shivakumargn at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 07:58:38 UTC 2005

Hi,

I wanted to try out KDE desktop on ubuntu.
I tried using synaptic manager as the per the
instructions in the kubuntu site. The package list got
updated but the installation itself failed due to
dependancy issues. (I have installed SWs from the
ubuntu add-on CD. I do not know if that had obsoleted
some libraries because of which this failed).

apt-get also gave same problems.
Finally I searched the packages on the CD and
installed them individually using dpkg command. I
could get the KDE desktop up.

[1] Is there a cleaner way to handle the dependancy
issues? I have always seen synaptic or apt-get being
referred to. Have I missed something because of which
the problem occurred?
[2] I need to install many education related
softwares? How to ensure that some dependant libraries
are not over-written because of which one of the
existing S/Ws stop working?
[3] The system running ubuntu is not connected to net.
How to I specify to synaptic/apt-get to pick a package
existing on the HDD or CD and not to search on the
net?

Getting the system up and running with the distro is a
snap. But I have found identifying other compatible
SWs which get installed without issues to be a bit
painful(especially since synaptic needs net connection
and I do not have one).

thanks in advance
Shiv