Help understanding mounting usb

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Wed Aug 3 06:31:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 22:42 -0500, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an iAudio G3 mp3 player. I plugged it into my Breezy laptop and
> an icon pops up in the "computer" nautilus window which says, COWON
> iAUDIO G3. Looks good. But it won't mount. I get this error.
>
> mount: can't find /dev/sda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>
> So I create a mount point in fstab pointing to /media/usb1
>
> Then I get an error telling me that only root can mount. Ugh.
>
> The problem also is that when I mount as root in a terminal I don't get
> a browsable filesystem as I would like, but rather 3 directories 001,
> 002,003 and a file devices.
>
> If I set up fstab to open on /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda I am able to
> mount and navigate the filesystem successfully. But then I have in the
> "computer" nautilus window with both the COWON iAUDIO G3 icon and also
> an icon for the usb1 drive.
>
> Now that is a livable condition. But it would be nice if the COWON
> iAUDIO G3 icon mounted correctly and was the icon which represented this
> device rather than the created one of the usb1 to circumvent the failure
> of the other to operate as anticipated.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Jimmie

I really don't know why it didn't work out-of-the-box!!

Here's a tip, I use Hoary, but this should work even on Breezy.  Instead
of the miss you done with the "/etc/fstab", all you should do to mount a
removable device is "pmount /dev/sda1", and that's it!!  (Note that you
should run this command as the *user* who will access the device, most
likely you, and *NOT* "root".  In other words: don't use "sudo" for that
command.)

I hope this helped you even a little.
Ziyad.