updatedb every morning at 6.30am

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Aug 3 05:43:10 UTC 2005

Anybody able to help me here... as it's really bothering me...

I'm an early morning person... I like getting up around 5.30 or 6am and
doing some work before anybody else gets up...

But at 6.30am *every* morning some job called "updatedb" (which I think
is tied into the locate command, but I may be wrong) kicks off and
absolutely cripples my PC.

I cannot work out what's making it do this... I assumed cron, as that is
the way that scheduled jobs normally run in Linux/Unix but...

seanmiller at ubuntu:~ $ su -
Password:
root at ubuntu:~ # crontab -l
no crontab for root
root at ubuntu:~ # logout
seanmiller at ubuntu:~ $

So now I'm at a lost... the question is...

a) how is this running; and
b) how do I change it to something more appropriate; say, once a week on
a Saturday morning at 3am...  ?

Any help gratefully received :-)

Sean