Ruby 1.8.2 | Bug # 12613

Frank Hale frankhale1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:55:06 UTC 2005

> Note that Ruby in Breezy will be in main,
> although the Ubuntu policy is to backport only the security fixes,
> so the next version of Ruby (1.8.3?) most probably won't make it into
> Breezy even if it was released today (Breezy is past Upstream Version
> Freeze[1] now). This is the way Debian and Ubuntu work (although Ubuntu
> does have the official backports).

I understand and that makes sense but I think the policy should be
relaxed when it comes to having a prerelease version of software in an
official release, Especially when it's found out to be buggy and cause
problems.

Having an official final 1.8.2 package in Hoary is good news and I'm
sure the Rails developers out there will be happy. This makes me happy
because I want to run Hoary on my server and serve Rails web apps. I
didn't want to just compile from source. I wanted to maintain package
integrity. If I wasn't so new to Ubuntu and debian packages I would
have fixed it myself and contributed it back to the community. I'll
get there eventually, at least that's my goal.