cd burning

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Tue Aug 2 12:12:01 UTC 2005

Renato Henriques a écrit :
| I know the filemanager has burning capabilities. It is called NAUTILUS,
| although that name is no where to be found as is.  I cannot upon entering
| a recorded CD to get a way to erase it all together. What must I do?
| When I had KUBUNTU there was an applic with a whole array of options
would arise,
| such as: data, audio, copy, and photos/videos.  Can I download
anything like but,
| but, for a power pc environmnent?

|  Renato Henriques
| repehe at yahoo.com
I had a hard time with CD burning on my i-686 PC with ATAPI.
I succeeded erasing with Gnomebaker, copying audio CD's disk to disk
with Graveman, using a DVD device to read and the CD device for burning,
suceeded burning datas and mixed type datas with nautilus native
cd-burning, that also erases CD's just after selecting files in the
cd-creator and selecting to start burning, but not all CD's: a 4x CDrw
recently was declared 'not a 9660 format' by the cdrecord tool.

Success burning an iso image with the command line, after I checked
with 'cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/hdX' (I've got hdd, see what's yours)
then:
'cdrecord -v -dao dev=/dev/hdc stuff.iso'

I made iso images with dd:
'dd if=xxx of=/home/myself/image.iso'

if= is Input file, so any file you need to make an iso image with.
It can be a CD: if=/dev/hdd or if=/dev/hdc or whatsoever
of= is Output file, so you write the file name you wish, with .iso
extension.

I tried K3B under Gnome to do some burning, but I didn't succeed.
One detail: be sure cdrdao is in your system:
'which cdrdao'

The man in console are difficult to understand for us newbies, but
try 'man cdrecord' to see the options (do 'Ctrl+Z to quit). I do not try
to understand all at a time, however it is intersting to see it is
possible to blank a CDrw with a command line.
Maybe something such as 'cdrecord=blank /dev/hdd' ?

I had a hard time for the following reason, so I say the following
incase some people from the development team read this:
among the very acknowledged Linux users, none has problems with burning.
And when asking "do you often burn CD's' ?" the answer does not vary:
"oh no! almost never: maybe once or twice a year". (!)

There is a well known non free application that just brought out
a complete software to burn under Linux, whereas there is no graphic
tool able to handle all the burning features properly on current
hardware (Atapi is current, so is PPC ?)
I wish some developing team would seriously consider this question,
along the developing of Ubuntu Linux, the friendly distribution.
Best greetings, J.Markoll.