Not Happy with ShipIt

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 2 01:56:27 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>>Not strange at all. Ubuntu offers free (as in beer) CDs; they don't even
>>ask us to pay the shipping. That's a helluva deal. OTOH, the vendors
>>offer the same CDs for a small charge for the disks and shipping. It
>>strikes me as a simple trade off: a few bucks against a long wait.
>

> So you are saying that theses vendors get official/proper/pressed CD's
> from Canonical, the same that we get sent for free ?

I don't know where the vendors get the CDs, but my guess is that they
download them. AFAIK, everything in Ubuntu/Kbuntu is GPL'd, so what they
are doing is perfectly OK.

> If so, then great, it means that shipit already has the
> mechanism/infrastructure to offer the choice between fast/not free and
> free/waittoolong. So we just need an optional check box on the shipit
> order page : "I want to receive them in less than 2 weeks, I want to pay
> for this extra service".

Interesting idea. Good luck.

> Looking forward to seeing this implemented in time for Breezy, as well
> as having the possibility to order the DVD :-), which I find very
> attractive/convenient, but can't download since I have no DVD writer tp
> burn the ISO with...so not much point...

DVD? We don't need no stinking DVD. We got broadband. (Today I'm
celebrating two months on cable after all those years on dialup.
Whoopee.) Not everyone is so fortunate, though. There is a discussion
elsewhere on this list started by a guy in India who would like to get a
DVD with all of the materials that are not included in the base
distribution, and it looks like someone may be able to help him. I'm
curious to see how that works out.

-- cmg