Not Happy with ShipIt

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 2 00:28:11 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>>There are several outfits which sell Ubuntu CDs and DVDs for quite
>>reasonable prices (I found CDs listed for 3 Euros and DVDs for 5 Euros,
>>plus shipping).  Check with Google....
>

> It is rather strange that this sites have Ubuntu CDs and DVD available,
> when Ubuntu itself has problems shipping to people that use shipit...
> I suspect that these sites/places don't sell real Ubuntu CD's... but
> just dirty copies... If "I" am going to pay, I would of course want the
> money to go to Ubuntu, and get proper/official CD's from them. I thought
> that went without saying...
> Still, if one really is desperate for CD and hasn't broadband, a
> crappy/unofficial CD is better than no CD at all... I admit ;-)
>

> --
> Vince, luckily has broadband, and "luckily" has no real need for pretty
> official CD's... as no potential 'converts' around :o(

Not strange at all. Ubuntu offers free (as in beer) CDs; they don't even
ask us to pay the shipping. That's a helluva deal. OTOH, the vendors
offer the same CDs for a small charge for the disks and shipping. It
strikes me as a simple trade off: a few bucks against a long wait.

I'm not sure why you conclude that these vendors only sell crap.
Although I've only had a few dealings with a single US company, every
time I've gotten exactly what I expected at a fair price. No problems
with the CDs, no malware, the complete distribution, prompt service, and
they didn't charge my credit card until the stuff was shipped. (I could
name a certain commercial distribution which missed out on three of the
preceding). Would I deal with them again? Well, now that I'm on cable,
perhaps not. But then again...

-- cmg