memory usage

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani) y.lesaint at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:44:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 22:28 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi all, I am running hoary on a Dell desktop with 1 Gb ram.  If I leave
> my computer on for a day or so, the memory usage just keeps going up and
> up, even if I am not running anything.  At most I will have firefox,
> Evo, and some music playing, but it will still show 88-90% memory usage.
> 27-30% will be cached.

  Linux _should_ be using 90% ram, see
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=175419

> Is there some way to clean this up and monitor
> what is causing the rise in mem usage?

  When using top, order your processes by resident memory usage :
    press "O" (for Order by)
    press "q" (well, for resident memory usage)

  So that you see the most ram-eating processes.

>  Here is what my top lookslike....
> .
> .
> .
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  6192 root      16   0  187m  55m  10m S  7.7  5.5  26:47.57 Xorg
>  7545 malespin  15   0  179m 169m  17m S  2.7 16.8  56:07.42 python

  python is eating much of your ram.
  You can check with "cat /proc/pythonpid/cmdline" the full python
command line.
  If this is gdesklets, i think gdesklets are badly broken in hoary,
don't use them.

------
Regards.

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani) <y.lesaint at gmail.com>