Distrowatch down for several days?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Fri Apr 29 18:07:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 17:45 +0100, Gary Coady wrote:

Sorry for it took so long for me to answer - had to be away from my PC
for a while.

I tried pinging the IP address as Vince suggested and I guess it didn't
work. I waited for several 5 minutes and this is all I got - I suppose
this is a time out?

PING distrowatch.com (66.180.174.35) 56(84) bytes of data.

> There's another possibility for this problem that comes to mind - broken
> PMTU discovery.
>
> Try
> sudo sh -c "echo -n 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc"

Tried this too but still no Distrowatch :-(

> Longer-term, a better fix would be to find out who is responsible for
> blocking ICMP type 3 packets, and asking nicely for them to be let
> through :-) The responsible machine could be any box between your
> machine and the problematic server, though.

I really would like to find out who is blocking my ICMP type 3 packets -
after all it's an outrageous thing to do, isn't it :-) It's just that I
don't know anything about this kind of things and I'm not sure if I can
afford to spend the time to learn myself. Maybe I will just have to give
up for now and learn to live without Distrowatch :-/

Thanks for trying to help :-)

Ari Torhamo