pppd and DNS

steven at heimann.com.au steven at heimann.com.au
Thu Apr 28 11:19:50 UTC 2005

I am running Ubuntu 5.04.

I have installed the pppd package.  This seems to run a user space version
of pppd different to the one run by the default installation.  I did this
because I needed to restrict mtu to 1400 to tunnel through a firewall and
the default pppd doesn't seem to honor mtu statements.

What I would like to do now is have pppd keep my existing dns server in
resolv.conf as well as add one it gets from the ISP when it connects
(pppoe over ADSL).

I have been playing with the usepeerdns option but it doesn't seem to make
any difference.

Any suggestions re how to achieve this?

Regards
Steven

p.s.  Congratulations to the Ubuntu team.  This distribution is coming to
a stage that even my wife might use.