Flopping Problems

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:20:40 UTC 2005

On 4/27/05, Shawn Christopher <schristopheraz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had Ubuntu but can't decide on which OS to stay with. I was a very
> strong Ubuntu and Linux supporter but everything that I need to do is
> on Windows (for work and some home) and despite what everyone
> says....you can't do everything in Linux that you can do in
> Windows...sadly this is my second flop back and forth.to Ubuntu and
> Windows. If I had a main box dedicated to Linux I would probably use
> that more...but alas work requirements trump all.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations? And I don't think WINE is going t be
> powerful enough or portable enough for what I have to do...:-(
>
> Shawn

I don't think anyone on the list is going to be able to help you
unless you tell them exactly what you are trying to do.

I am assuming, since you posted here, that you would like to use
Ubuntu, and there are people here who can help, but they need to know
what your needs are.  As I see it, there are a numberof options for
you.

1)  Dual Boot.  Install Both.  This is probably the simplest solution.
2)  Straight Wine:  Does run quite a few things, but isn't necessarily
fully functional.
3)  Crossover/ The one optimized for video games...I don't remember
what it's called.
4)  VMware:  When in doubt virtualize it.
5)  Run the program remotely using rdesktop.

And, I'm sure there are people who would help you set any of these up,
and tell you which of these might work best for you if we knew what
you are trying to do.

--andy