How Old Can You Go? (OT)

David Teague teague at jackson.main.nc.us
Wed Apr 27 18:33:55 UTC 2005

From: "Ed Sutherland" <digital at twcny.rr.com>

> >> kids... :)
>
> > And since we're getting all low-tech, I remember the daisy-wheel printer
> > I used with my dad's osbourne portable computer. That thing was cool :)
>
> Sounds like questions my grand-daughter asks. ;) I remember adding a
> daisy-wheel printer to my brand-new 8k Vic-20 with its cassette-tape
> storage device and thinking I was on the bleeding edge. :)

Does this count?

I used an IBM 650 "Mini computer" in the 1957 at NCSU.
Printing was done using an IBM 407 printer and accounting
machine. The interface we had to printing was punched cards.

I won't claim to have done any installation. I just did a bit of
programming in SOAP, (Symbolic Optimal Assembly Program)
later in a Fortran called ForTransIt (Fortran Translated to IT)
and we carried cards from machine to machine.

Warm Regards
David Teague,  http://cs.wcu.edu/~dbt
Advocating Free Software and Double Bass tuned in fifths
www.dennismasuzzo.com;  www.silviodallatorre.com
www.joelquarrington.com/;  For information on Red  Mitchell,
http://home.teleport.com/~mimuma/;  www.larryholloway.com