devfs

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Tue Apr 26 21:17:39 UTC 2005

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 15:16 -0400, Matt Patterson wrote:
>

>>Why am I seeing an error message at boot then? Does ubuntu use devfs by
>>default?
>>

>No.  Ubuntu does *not* use "devfs" at all.  I really don't know why
>Ubuntu complains about the missing "devfs" support in your system!
>(Yes, I just checked and, apparently, Ubuntu does support it, even
>though it doesn't use it.)
>
>Don't worry about it too much.  If it bothers you, just recompile the
>kernel again after enabling "devfs" support.
>

>>Matt
>>

>Sorry if that didn't explain what you asked.
>Ziyad.

That answered exactly what i needed. That, and a bunch of modules I
compiled in that are of no use, are the only errors on startup and I
wanted to make sure I was not hindering the functionality of my system.
I couldnt find any problems, and things seem more stable (fingers
crossed). I will probably give another run at building a kernel to
optimize things a bit, but I mainly want a stable machine, and with
nearly a gig of ram, who cares about an extra meg of kernel.

Thanks a bunch,
Matt