Performance shock

Robert L Parker bposs at dodo.com.au
Tue Apr 26 15:39:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 11:03 -0400, poptones wrote:
> Robert L Parker Wrote:

> But if you are going to comment on what I said why don't you stop
> ignoring the point I made and explain how you would use the command
> line to sort IMAGES with nondescriptive filenames.

If any given theme that you want to sort on topic, pose or whatever
exists in a sequential block you can manipulate them as a block. If not
you have a mess that that you just have to tough your way through
whether you are using cli or gui.

> Yeesh. Why even bother with such a lame excuse? In windows I can open
> explorer on a folder with 5000 files in it and it will take a second or
> two but it renders the frame pretty quickly - and it DOESN'T just leave
> an empty outline of a frame on the screen for several seconds, which
> linux still often does. And when I click and drag a bunch of files it
> DOESN'T redraw the window after every single file event - it waits
> until the operation has completed and then redrawsthe frame ONE TIME.
> Imagine that!

I'm afraid imagine it is what I'll have to do, I'll never use it to
experience it.;).
Last time I had to deal with Explorer was using Win98 and it was
pathetic, if as you say Nautilus is even worse you do have cause to
complain. Fortunately I've had no need to boot my Win partition since
December 2003.

> Obviously you ain't a photographer or a videographer. Not all of us are
> programmers.

Photographer infrequently, videograpgher never.

> Like I said: I really like gnome, and I like nautilus. But I want them
> to be better.

File a wish list bug on the thing, someone may hear you.

>From a practical point of view, have you thought about Midnight
Commander? (not really sure on the spelling here).

Bob