Performance shock

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Apr 25 21:24:47 UTC 2005

> I just wish some Mac folks would chime in.  I am a complete newbie and
> the Linux distributions I have tried seem a little slow.

I used Mac only once, at Uni in 1998, was the latest G3 beige stuff. I
love working on it, such a nice overall look and feel, however I
remember being shocked at how slow they were compared to all the other
machines in the campus, which ran windows NT4 on 166MHz Pentiums.
Since Mac are Unix deep down, as I understand it, it probably explains
it.

> I guess I am of the opinion that if they next release of
> Ubuntu improves as much as Hoary did over Warty

I have not noticed any speed improvement in Hoary over Warty.... rather
the opposite actually. Once you are logged in, all the Gnome applet in
the top bar (menu bar, calendar applet, volume etc), don't respond
instantly when you first click on them. In Warty, it is instant.

> I will be very happy.  Besides, this whole time
> issue seems to be very western oriented.  I doubt in Mopti, Mali they
> are debating boot times of various system
> and it was my understanding
> people living in locations like that is where Ubuntu is directed.

My understanding is that Ubuntu is target at each and every habitant of
this planet, not just afrcans, rich europeans, poor europeans, asian
people, south america people, old, young, male, female, singles,
families, home users, servers, workstations, musicians,
cinema/multimedia production, public/kiosk machines, kids, modest H/W,
bleeding edge H/W.
I think the whole idea is to get Ubuntu absolutely everywhere, for
everyone ! :-)

> My 0.0002 CFA (or whatever the exchange rate is)

I think it would be the other way around, more like 20,000 CFA ! ;-)

--
Vince