Can't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .gnomerc

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Mon Apr 25 14:15:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 07:45 -0400, James Carroll wrote:
> (Still trying to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
>
> I wasn't sure _where_ you were going with suid stuff. Thanks for the
> help though.
>
> Also, I put the LD_LIBRARY_PATH assignement in /etc/profile and it's
> still not showing up in my environment!  Something downstream... after
> Xsession sources .gnomerc that's unsetting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH...  I
> just can't find it.  Could it be a Debian policy to trounce
> environment variables?  I did find one article talking about how they
> encourage every script to set their own variables.  But
> /usr/bin/python is not a script, so I can't modify it.  Also I need
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set to run some C++ programs that I'm
> writing against the devoelpment wxWidgets libraries.  I end up having
> to set them in a terminal, then run my programs from a terminal when
> normally I could double click on them or run them from my IDE
> (slickedit).
>
> -Jim
Good as we are getting to something!  I put the following in
"/etc/profile":
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/tmp/anotherTMP"
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and I logged-in to GNOME from GDM and it *did* appear in my environment
variables!  Here:
        zamb ~ $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        /tmp/anotherTMP

So, there is something *specific* to your system/setup that unset the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Check what you installed yourself, especially the
shell scripts.

I hope this helps.
Ziyad.