Firefox 1.03?

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 12:36:11 UTC 2005

Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> One note: it's not just a Ubuntu thing:  all Linux distributions out
> there (Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake, etc) will generally not update a piece
> of software to a higher version number, but instead will backport the
> security patches in the version they are "frozen" to in their release
> distributions.

Actually, this is not necessarily true for Fedora. They have a policy
that they *may* move to the latest version for bugfixes and security
fixes.

Whether they do or not depends on the software, who's maintaining it,
and whether it's from the same source as a RHEL package that also needs
fixing (in which case, it's less work for them just to use the RHEL
package)

See
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/ ("What is the errata policy...") and
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-April/msg01654.html
for example.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | They say that every cloud has a silver lining, which
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | must be a bit alarming for airline pilots...