[Hoary] Can't Read EXT3 Journal

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 01:56:50 UTC 2005

So much for recoverable file systems.

I had a hard lockup. Not sure what caused it. I was scrolling through
my mail in Evolution and it locked up tight.

At first I could switch to a console via ctrl-alt-f1 but when I tried
to switch back to X, the keyboard was locked.

I could find no other way to recover but via the reset button.

Upon reboot the stock i386 kernel couldn't find the ext3 journal and
the reboot process stopped.

I tried recovery mode, but just got a lot of drive seek errors and a
kernel panic at the end.

I know how to use a rescue disk to get back into my Hoary system, if
indeed this is even possible. If so, is there a command line way to
rebuild the journal?

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958