Running gui apps as other user

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 24 22:48:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:51:35 -0400
Todd Slater <dontodd at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> My wife and I share a machine and sometimes one of us wants to run an
> app without logging the other person out. Normally we'd do "su - user"
> and type the command to run the app, but Ubuntu (Hoary) doesn't let
> us; we always get the error "cannot open display".
>
> I read something about xhost +127.0.0.1 but I did this and got the
> same error.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

GDM flexiserver or GDM flexiserver in Xnest and login the other user.
Doing <alt><control><F7> will take you back to the first user,
<alt><control><F8> will take you to the second user.  You may fill the
remaining <F<number>> up to 12 and alternate between them.

HTH

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,