Performance shock

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 18:58:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 14:28 -0400, Leif wrote:

> What does microsoft's anti-competitive business practices have to do
> with anything ? I dislike it as much as most people (clearly not you
> though), but the original post here was technical. Can you not divorce
> the two things for just two minutes to talk about the software on its
> own merits ? Microsoft being an evil corporation does not change the
> fact (yes, fact, not FUD - your computer does not cancel his computer
> out) that things run faster on his computer.

In context, the mention of anti-competitive business practices was a
response to a directed point. I have no problem separating technical
issues from business issues.

> Also, your comment that his title will get a kneejerk reaction is
> great, given that you were the one to supply the kneejerk reaction. And
> the problem with linux forums that he was talking about, I think,
> referred to your kind of input.

You're right.

> I prefer linux. I don't, however, stick my fingers in my ears and sing
> la-la-la everything is perfect and better than microsoft.

I prefer linux. I don't stick my fingers in my ears and sing la-la-la.

In fact, this URL http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu discusses
69 nits and has salient points - tolerable enough for everyday work.
It's by someone who works for the founder here.

I've often attempted to stop these sort of threads but haven't been
successful. They seem to have a life of their own. People don't let them
go for numerous reasons, often because they don't see the appeal to stop
until after they've responded.

Hopefully this will end soon.