Performance shock (BS)

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 24 18:17:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 14:25 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 07:50 -0400, Michael Scottaline wrote:

> > > ....with "CD" (in case that was ambiguous!)
> > ===================
> > Now it's even more ambiguous because i *think* you meant "CB" not "CD" ;-)
>
> Is it ? Well sorry, I meant that I also experience Linux/Gnome's overall
> responsiveness to be often very poor compared to their Windoze counter
> part. I got told that for everybody else, it was the other way around,
> and that I must have some problem in my Linux, so I thought that maybe I
> have sub-optimal drivers for my motherboard nForce chipset, but, I later
> installed VMware, where all and any Windows apps still run at the speed
> of light compared to Gnome apps, all within Ubuntu, which is quite
> strange to experience.
> Like Outlook compared to Evolution, Gedit and Notepad, Explorer and
> Nautilus, OOo and MS Office, Dreamveawer and Screamer/Bluefish (which
> aren't even WYSYWIG at that), etc, etc.
>
> I have progressively got used to it over the months, and is hardly an
> annoyance in practice, but I would still be delighted if this issue was
> solved in the coming years, maybe thanks to a major or complete rewrite
> of Gnome, for version 3.0, or whatever.
>
> --
> Vince

Without adding to the flamefest :) One of the things I miss from
WindowMaker, was the instant menu responce, GNOME *is* slower there,
it's an annoyance, I put up with it a) because I think it will get
better, and b) because I like the benefits of GNOME over WindowMaker
(which I still like a lot)

I don't have a lot of experience with XP/2k, although the machines at
work, are dogs, not in the hardware sense, but they are about as snappy
as my oldish laptop, running GNOME. Some things are faster, like firing
up Excel vs Gnumeric for the first time, but other things are a PITA
slow mofo (insert bad language here)

All that aside, jumping on the OP for not being blind to faults in
Linux, is lame, Linux isn't perfect, it has room to improve, and it
will, MS-Windows isn't perfect, it has room to improve also, I am less
sanguine that it will :)

Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as
if she laid an asteroid. -- Mark Twain