Performance shock

Mark Rosenstand mark at ossholes.org
Sun Apr 24 00:50:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 10:35 +1000, CB wrote:

> But I'd love to know if there's either any general/fundamental reason
> why linux is just never going to be as fast Windows as a desktop, or
> if there are any things I might do to speed it up.

One explanation is that applications for Windows are statically
compiled, so it doesn't have the overhead of loading shared libraries.
This is also the reason you don't see "dependencies" so much with
Windows apps. It also means that you certainly have a lot of redundant
data stored on your disc.

You can reduce the overhead somewhat by prelinking your binaries. See
http://www.google.com/linux?q=prelink for more info.

--
  .-.    Mark Rosenstand        (-.)
  oo|                           cc )