Mail anti-virus scanner recommendations ?

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Fri Apr 22 14:05:48 UTC 2005

> I have a small-ish home network based around a Hoary box.  One of the
> things I'd like to be able to do is provide inbound email virus
> checking.  Back in the old days of my RedHat setup, I used MailScanner
> and sendmail, which appeared to work fine.  When I moved over to
> Ubuntu, I stuck with MailScanner and moved to postfix, which also
> seemed fine.  Recently I've been seeing alarming looking messages in
> the postfix log about enabling hashed queues, which led me to some
> googling and the discovery that MailScanner doesn't necessarily play
> nicely with postfix.  So I'm investigating other options.  Which leads
> to two questions:
>
> 1) Has the MailScanner/postfix issue been resolved ?  There have
> definitely been changes to the recommended config, and I'd be prepared
> to just do what the error messages suggest [1].
>
> 2) Do people have a favorite/recommended postfix + virus-scanner setup
> they'd recommend ?  I'm already clamav'ing, so clamsmtp is one option,
> amavis-* is another.  MailScanner also did some rudimentary phishing
> checks I was starting to become fond of - is there anything similar ?
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	John A.
>
> [1] "MailScanner[5101]: Messages found but no hashed queue
> directories. Please enable hashed queues for incoming and deferred
> with a depth of 1 or 2. See the Postfix documentation for
> hash_queue_names and hash_queue_depth"

I use Postfix, Amavis-new, spamassasin, clamavd and cyrus21-imapd
this setup has performed great. I'm brutal and just use amavis-new
to quarantine most mails with attachments. I'm not aware of anything
having gotten through. I us this setup at home and aother site with over
100 users.

--
Kevin C. Smith