[Warty] - Printer drivers and installation - Linz

William F Pearson III wfpearson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 04:46:45 UTC 2005

Lindsay, I've been using Linux for around 5 years now and since I have
a multi-function device I still do the same thing. I have all the
scan/fax/copy/print features in Windows, but I can still print from
Linux over the network. I'm a Linux zealot, but I draw the line at
throwing money away just because I can't stand how a certain software
company does business. You're doing it the right way. Once I'm ready
to replace my printer I'll choose something that's more Linux
friendly.

On 4/20/05, Lindsay <judenlinz at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Thanks Michael.  I get as far as you explain, but my printer is not
> listed.  Others tell me that I will have problems as it is a dual
> scanner-printer.  I can forward anything I want to the Windows PC and
> print it there, so no problem.  Topic closed for the time being.
>

> > So the printer is served by a windows machine, and it's working there?
> >
> > If so, then did you do "Desktop/Administration/Printing" (I think
> > that's the right way to get the gnome-cups-manager in warty)? I've
> > never had a problem accessing a windows-shared printer by doing "New
> > Printer" to get the "Add a Printer" wizard. Select "Network Printer"
> > and "Windows Printer (SMB)". Type in the windows hostname and the
> > printer name, then click "Forward". Select the Manufacturer of the
> > printer and the model name. Then just click "Apply".
> >
> > Your printer should appear in your "Printers" window. Right
> > click/Properties it, and try to print a test page.
> >
> > I don't think that has failed for me.
> >
> > --
> > Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
> > GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt (ID 23A02B1F)