multi-user solution

Jim Cheetham jim at egressive.com
Thu Apr 21 00:07:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 18:38 -0500, Jesse Haubrich wrote:
> Does anybody know how to setup a classic UNIX style root and user
> account system. I love ubuntu, but this 'sudo' stuff has got to go.

Just assign a password to root, and you'll have what you want.
"sudo passwd root" would work.

> If I add the new accounts to the 'sudoers' file, I'll effectively have
> multiple passwords to access the super-user account. Doing this just
> doesn't feel right.

Sure - sudo-style activities are perfect for a large operation where
there are "operators" as well as admins. sudo can assign access in a far
more fine-grained manner than su can - i.e. you can permit only a
handful of commands to be run as root (and block sub-shells from them
too).

Plus, if one of the users "leaves", you can deny them root access
without the other users having to know that anything has changed. If you
change the root password, all the current users have to know about the
change.

> I understand having the 'sudo' set up this way for the windows migrants
> to get adjusted; which seems fine, but there should be a way for us UNIX
> weenies to have our way too ;)

Ah, you just want what you're already used to. No problem - you can have
it :-) It's just not the default :-)
--
-jim cheetham = jim at egressive dot com
www.egressive.com, www.effusiongroup.com