2.6.10-5 Kernel Differences

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Wed Apr 20 22:07:49 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I was running the hoary backports 2.6.10-3_k7_smp when i was using
warty. I had to go to that kernel because it was the only one that didnt
cause hard freezes whenever i used usb 2.0 devices. The only caveat was
that that kernel didnt automount inserted usb/cd devices. I upgraded to
hoary with the 2.6.10-5 kernel and found that those automounting
features were back in, but I also noticed that speeds copying from a
cdrom are FAR slower with lower cpu utilization. It also just froze
solid on me.

2.6.10-5 -> 30% cpu during copy from cd, and slow, drives automount and
show up on desktop
2.6.10-3 -> 50% cpu during copy from cd, fast copying, drives automount
but dont show on desktop

Has anyone experienced this slow cdrom performance?

Also, what is it that triggers the display on the desktop, apparently it
is not the mounting of the drive? Is that the inotify feature in the
kernel? What is it that triggers the mounting of the drive (independant
of desktop display)? I preferred it when it didnt mount on its own, like
it did back in warty.

Thanks,
Matt