VNC Issues

Chuk Goodin chukgoodin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:19:50 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, Matthew S-H <mathbymath at aol.com> wrote:

> 1. Speed. Note that this is a NEW issue. Up until a day or two ago, I
> was able to run VNC at a tolerable speed. Now, however, it seems to be
> lagging tremendously. It takes practically forever just to see the
> mouse move. And NO settings were changed on the client. It should be
> noted that I upgraded to Hoary right after the final release and that
> this problem started occurring some time within the last week (I have
> been on a vacation from VNC for the past week). This bothers me,
> however, because I commonly use the computer over VNC.

How are you starting the VNC server? Is it possible that some config
settings got changed with the upgrade?

2. Startup. This is a problem I can more easily describe. The VNC
> server doesn't start until I log in. I often-times must reboot my
> computer remotely. After a reboot, I am unable to access the computer
> (graphically--I can still use SSH) until I can physically sit in front
> of the computer and login to GNOME. Is there any way to get around
> this? My ideas (although I don't know how to do them) are the
> following:
> a) Modify some startup file to start the VNC server immediately so
> that I can use it to login.

Not sure where you could put this, but I'm sure it's possible. Personally, I
don't like to have the vncserver running unless I'm going to use it, so I do
this one:

 b) Use the command line (via SSH) to either:

> b2) Start the VNC server

Check man vncserver, but you should be able to just do
vncserver

at the prompt. (I use -depth 16, since that seems a lot snappier over the
network)
You could set up an SSH tunnel this way if you need to, too.

--
chuk