backing up and restoring boot sector

toyfactory toyfactory at xsmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:13:02 UTC 2005

While playing around with different multi-boot options I sometimes screw
things up.  Things are (fingers crossed) working fine at the moment but
I would like to be able to make a back-up of the MBR and boot sector for
when I decide to install MS-DOS 5.0 again or whatever.  Finding out how
to back-up the MBR was straightforward Googling:

dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Restoring the MBR brought Grub back to life but not the Windows 2000
boot menu.  Resurrecting that required me to hunt down the Windows CD,
boot to the Recovery Console and run fixboot.exe to repair the partition
boot sector.  So, my question - is there a simple way to back-up and
restore the 'partition boot sector' in Linux.

Cheers,

Nick