Dual Screen XFCE

Charlie Lewis clewis4 at hot.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 15:35:53 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 09:49 am, Justin Sleith wrote:
> I am running Hoary with a Matrox G400 dual screen card.
> I've got both screens up and running (after lots and lots of googling)
> using XFCE. The problem I have is that I only have the menu bar in one
> screen (main one). Is it possible to have the menu bar in both screens?
> I see the workspaces work independently but I have to use the mouse
> right click for the menu on the second screen.
>
> Is what I am trying to do possible?

I believe it is. ;-)

I base that on my own experience, but not with a Matrox card, hence the "I
believe". I don't presently have XFCE running on any machine, but I've used
it several times in a dual head configuration with ATI Radeon VE cards from
back about the first they came out with incorporating the dual outs, both pci
and agp and several variations of the Nvidia chipsets. With a properly
configured /etc/X11/xorg.conf or XF86Config using xinerama, proper set up of
Monitor, Device, Screens and ServerLayout Sections.

IIRC, xfce can be set so the panel will sit left, center or right, or may be
extended across the entire width of the viewing area in the same manner the
KDE panel may be done dual head. The picture I posted for Vince earlier,
pertaining to the "Hoary 5.04 Bootsplash" shows a KDE panel only on the right
monitor, but it may be swapped out right, left, side or extended all the way
across and I seem to remember I was able to do same with xfce with full
functionality. My Gnome desktops seem to only allow me to place a panel top,
bottom and side, but not extend full viewing area width. Enlightenment will
give me a drag bar and windows expanded full viewing area and gnome-panel on
either monitor and some other neat things. I'll run a sample, much
modified /etc/X11/Xorg.conf that started out as an XF86Config-4 generated by
XFdrake on a Mandrake box a long time ago. ;-)

http://home.hot.rr.com/olgnuby/xorg.conf

It may give you some ideas in addition to all the documentation on xfce,
'cause I do remember it was one of the first lightweight window managers to
become really xinerama enabled and I had great results using it as such. It
should be able to do just about anything a person is capable of telling it to
do. Hell, watching the different discussions on window managers, I kind of
got a hankering to go back and simplify with twm. ;-)

CC aka Chronocidal Charlie