Hoary Synaptic-Upgrade from Warty

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 11:40:42 UTC 2005

I originally had upgraded to hoary by using synaptic to "Upgrade all
packages" using the Hoary repositories the night after the final
release.  Hoary ran a lot slower than Warty for me.

I had then been forced to reinstall because of some stupidity on my
part (long story.....).

The second time around, I did a base install of warty (i had the CD) on
a fresh partition and then upgraded in the same way.  This time,
however, there were a lot more features available and the system ran
much faster than before.
Before the fresh install (in the original Hoary upgrade), some
features, such as Hibernation, some control panels, etc, were not
available.  The speed and feature difference was probably due to
user-customizations I had made before installing Hoary.  But it should
be noted that I had not made any serious customizations.  The only
customizations I had made outside of the control panels that come with
gnome are modifications to /etc/fstab, /etc/bash_completion, ~/.bashrc,
/boot/grub/sources.lst, etc.

Anyway, I just thought I'd point this out.  I don't think I can provide
much more detail because I don't know the exact customizations I had
made and because, despite the fact that my old partition that had the
hoary upgrade installed is still intact, I cannot boot from it.  I had
accidentally messed around with the initd stuff.  I still have the
partition available, though, because I needed to migrate data over to
the new installation (took me about an hour), and I was afraid I might
have left something behind...

~Matt