change drive

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Tue Apr 19 04:57:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:50 -0700, Ed Fletcher wrote:
> All you need is:
> cd /home/desktop
>
> You were getting the error message because 'cd' isn't a command that
> needs sudo.
>
> HTH,
> Ed
> - --
> Ed Fletcher
> ed at fletcher.ca
>
> What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
> whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
> or the holy name of liberty or democracy?  -  Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

No, actually sudo can run any command even if it doesn't require
super-user privileges.  The error message is the result of "sudo" not
finding an executable with the name "cd" (which is true and okay because
"cd" is a bash built-in).

Your advice is correct, Sara doesn't need sudo to run "cd".
By the way Sara, do you mean to run "cd /home/sara/Desktop"? As there is
no directory called /home/desktop (unless you created one yourself with
sudo or you have a user named desktop on your system).  An easier way to
go to the Desktop directory is to run "cd ~/Desktop" ("~" is always
substituted for the home directory of the user that issued the command,
$HOME is also the same as "~").

If you need any help or explanations just ask, we'll be glad to help.
Ziyad.