pristine souces?

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Mon Apr 18 20:03:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 07:11:37PM +0200, Patrick Useldinger wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am currently evaluating Ubuntu, and I am missing one important
> information: does Ubuntu use pristine sources to produce packages (like
> Slackware), or are they (heavily?) patched (like SuSE)?

They're patched, more or less heavily depending on what they are. Since
Ubuntu uses the Debian package format you can easily see what the
differences are by grabbing the source. Source for a .deb package
consists of the original (pristine) sources, a diff, and some metadata.
If you do 'apt-get source package' in a suitably empty directory you'll
get three files and an unpacked source tree with the patch applied.
Simply have a look at the diff to see what the changes are from the
pristine upstream source.

Ewan

> Same question for the kernel.  Regards, -pu

Basically the same, but the packaging is a bit more complicated than for
a simple program.

Ewan